• Tom Caldwell

EFL Trophy Opener

Manchester City EDS began their EFL Trophy campaign this year this evening, away at Scunthorpe United, against whom we seem to play every year in this competition...

City lined up with their usual 4-3-3 formation for the match, with the team as follows

X1: Slicker, Burns, Egan-Riley, Mbete, Wilson-Esbrand, Lavia, Sodje, Bolton, Palmer, McAtee, Hamilton

Subs: Van Sas, Robinson, Charles, Lewis, Oduroh, Larios

Before the match, new manager Brian Barry Murphy seemed deep in thought as he strolled round the pitch, before his players had even taken to the pitch to begin their warm ups.

The game gets underway, with City in our new all-white away strip, and Scunthorpe in a traditional claret and blue number! It was City who started with most of the ball, which was to be expected against a Scunthorpe team who were far from full strength. City opened the scoring early on, with Cole Palmer cutting in from out wide, and hitting a rifle into the far corner which the Iron keeper could do nothing about! Palmer showing his quality here. A few minutes later, James McAtee received the ball on the edge of the box, dribbled one man and shot, which was arguably better than the effort for Palmer's goal, but the keeper got to this one in acrobatic fashion! Scunthorpe then had a chance of their own, but failed to work Slicker from close range. A minute or so after that, they did test Slicker, although he caught it well! Then, Scunthorpe had the ball in the net, Song 2 by Blur was already playing, but the goal was disallowed for a dubious offside. The player tapped in a shot that was already on target, and was deemed as offside. City's second goal came on 27 minutes, after a lovely drop of the shoulder allowed him to let Luke Bolton loose, who finished with ease past the keeper. A City onslaught for a good minute or so, with a good few shots then occurred, just like the first team eh? City struck the post just before half time, after a waywards cross from McAtee nearly snuck in at the near post. Palmer was showing his magic yet again before the break, with his free kick being saved well by Collins in nets for Scunthorpe.

City were more than content going in 2-0 to the good at the break, and were good value for their lead! Sam Robinson came on at the break, replacing Luke Mbete.

On about the hour mark, Scunthorpe had their best chance so far, with a few headers just missed. Wilson-Esbrand made way for Juan Larios on the hour, in City's second sub. In another decent chance for Iron just after this, Sam Robinson bought down the SUFC man as he was virtually through on goal, earning a yellow card for his troubles, although he did stop a huge chance.

Scunthorpe came out fighting second half, after the poor display before the break, showing much more passion and desire afterwards. City quickly settled back into a rhythm, recycling possession and trying to forge an opening in the Scunthorpe defence. City's 3rd and final substitution came in the 70th minute, with Tai Sodje being replaced by Kwaku Oduroh.

The next important action of the game came from Cole Palmer (no prizes) who shot from distance was parried out, straight into the path of James McAtee, who made no mistake with the finish, making it 3-0 to City! James McAtee of course, brother of former Scunthorpe man John McAtee.

The last half an hour or so was something of a training exercise for the young blues, who kept a large chunk of the ball, and with a team full of technically excellent footballers we kept the ball for minutes at a time! We did have a few close calls, Cole Palmer could've had a brace at least!The game was very interesting to watch, with City running out 3-0 winners, and giving us our moneys worth at the Sands Venue Arena.

Recent Posts

See All

Manchester City face Sporting in the second leg of their Champions League Round of 16 tie fresh off of a decisive Derby victory against Manchester United Following a decisive 5-0 victory in the first